Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Uncle Lou.

I've been thinking about my Uncle Lou,
He's been good to me.
I've been staying a while with my Uncle Lou,
He's shown me his city.

Lou has taken me on the town,
His favorite nephew,
And sparing no expense,
Revealed the charm and the pretty.

I've gotten every advantage from Lou,
I've seen the place I want to be
Fill up with more like me,
All polishing up the worn and gritty.

     Lou has provided a place for my children
     Where there was none before.
     I tell myself that everyone wins,
     Even with so many outside the door.

     I've started to question my Uncle Lou,
     Past history and current secrets creep.
     I see how he treats his own kids,
     Blessing the stranger, cursing his own sheep.

     I can't solve, but I can't ignore my Uncle Lou,
     Can't take all the good,
     With eyes shut to the bad.
     I gotta do something more than knock on wood.

Sweet Uncle St. Lou,
Your sons and daughters are dying
And it's your fault.
And rage is building in ferocity.

None of us is blameless St. Lou,
The privileged, the looters and the crying.
We smiled while enduring hate,
We manicured the ruts of animosity.

I'm gonna say Jesus, Uncle Lou,
With hope fading, there is no more denying.
That great name is all we can claim.
Only Jesus saves those too guilty to pity.

No comments:

Post a Comment